Wednesday, April 9, 2014

H is for Hate

Going to be short and sweet tonight folks since apparently, in true Mom style, i let my little cold grow to double inner and outer ear infections with a side of strep.  Hey moms, go to the doctor when you don't feel good!

Anyway, hate.  

Definition according to Wikipedia:  Hatred is a deep and emotional extreme dislike that can be directed against individuals, entities, objects, or ideas. Hatred is often associated with feelings of anger and a disposition towards hostility

I cringe at the use of the word Hate.  It's such a very strong and permanent word.  I don't allow my kids to use the word.  I don't doubt that there will come a day in their lives when they will truly be something present that will warrant the word, but at 6, 3, and well, 0, there shouldn't be anything bad enough that they would have enough experience with to pin the word hate onto.

Hate should be reserved for the really really really awful things or people that have caused us so much pain and hurt that the scars left will never fully heal.  Something or someone that breaks you down so far that those little alarms go off in your head at the mere thought.....that probably gets some hate.

Chores.........food.........kisses from a crazy aunt........long meetings...................these do not qualify.  Come on, people, chores....are a necessity but it's not like you can't do them or they will kill you or you have to do the same one constantly.........food.....tastes buds change..........you will miss every affectionate embrace when they are gone.........and well, meetings, occasionally you get a good one where something gets done....or someone brings donuts or cake, right?


I have only since having kids really taken on this point of view.  Before that, hate was just another word.  Then I heard it come out of my little guy's mouth and I realized what I was planting in him.  I'd rather teach him to elaborate on his feelings of dislike or non-preference than give him an easy out with a little word that should really be reserved for something there is no other word for.

No comments:

Post a Comment