Chalica Facebook Page
1) Day 1: The Inherent Worth and Dignity of Every Person - Restated for children: "Each person is important."
We will choose an individual we would like to show appreciate for and be a "secret admirer" and improve their day somehow.
2) Day 2: Justice, equity, and compassion in human relations. Children’s translation: “We believe that all people should be treated fairly and kindly.”
I'm going to try to find a shelter or soup kitchen we can volunteer at. All are welcome to join us!!! Stay tuned for info.
3) Day 3: acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations.”
What does and doesn’t it look like to ‘accept’ another person’s faith outlook? What is spiritual growth? What are ways that one person can ‘encourage’ another person’s spiritual growth? How can this idea be applied even outside of one’s congregation?
Not sure what I'd like to do with this one yet.
4) Day 4: Free and responsible search for truth and meaning.” Or, in children’s parlance: “We believe that each person must be free to search for what is true and right in life.”
I think we'll look at and discuss the "Elephant and the Blind Men" parable and talk about keeping an open mind and trying to find out all aspects of a truth.
5) Day 5: The use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large.” The children’s translation reads: “We believe that all persons should have a vote about the things that concern them.”
Going to have to think some more on this one.
6) Day 6: The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all.” The children’s translation reads: “We believe in working for a peaceful, fair, and free world.”
We're going to sign up for an International Pen Pal program
7) Day 7: Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.” The children’s version: “We believe in caring for our planet Earth, the home we share with all living things.”
We're going on hike!
What have you or are you doing for Chalica this year? Want to join us one night, comment me and we'll see what we can do!