Sunday, January 13, 2013

Meatloaf Cups

I'm not much of a cook, at least not the way my hubby is, but I figure, "I can read, so I should be able to cook", right?  I also have a few tricks up my sleeve that I learned from my Mom.  One of those is meatloaf.  I'm proud to say that this is one of the few dishes I fix and do it well and never use a seasoning packet or instructions.  Accomplishment?  oh yes!  So, I was on "that website" and saw a recipe for taco cups.  I thought, why couldn't I do that with meatloaf.  So, I did.  Now it is a family favorite.  I like it because they are easy to make, fun to eat, and portion control much?  oh yes!  So here it is.


Ingredients (or close to it)

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
a Splash of milk
Oregano
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Parsley
Any other spice or seasoning that you like
Bread crumbs - I like the Italian ones
Veg - some sort of vegetable cut up or shredded - the picture is one where I shaved a whole zucchini.  usually I shave a whole carrot, though.  You could use any leftover vegetables you want, though.  PACK IN THE VEGGIES AT ANY TIME!
Small Chunk of Velveeta or store-brand block cheese - I shop exclusively at Aldi, so I use their brand.
1/2 a pack of wonton wrappers

Directions:

Pre-heat to 350.

Place the wonton wrappers in 2 cupcake pans.  This recipe makes 24 of the meatloaves.  Do not spray each cupcake hole or you will have a mess!  Cut your cheese in 1 centimeter or 1/2 inch cubes and put one in the bottom of each wrapper.  This is not a necessary thing, it's just a little surprise!  

In a bowl, mix, with your hands, the two meats and the egg and the veggie.  Then add your spices.  Doesn't really matter how much of each.  I'm guessing I use about a 1/2 Tablespoon of each.  then add your splash of milk.  The mix should be kind of soupy.  Then add your breadcrumbs.  Go with about a cup at first, mix it in, the mix should firm up some so that you could scoop it with an ice-cream scoop and it would hold its shape.  Add a little more if you need to.  If you add too much and it is really dry, add a little more milk.

Then, with that ice-cream scoop I mentioned or a melon-baller, place one scoop inside each wonton wrapper.  The mix should distribute evenly between the 24 wrappers.  If you have a little left over, go back and see which ones need a little more.

Back for 30 minutes.   You can add the usual ketchup or bbq sauce on the top when you serve them or you can brush it on and back for another 5 minutes.

Tonight I served these with mashed carrots and sweet potatoes.  Lovely!! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment